If you would like your project to be considered for publication by Boyds Mills & Kane:
- Read the imprint descriptions below to make sure your project fits what we publish!
- Take a look at the editor wishlists below to see which editor would be the best fit for your project—please don’t submit the same project to multiple editors.
- Once you’ve narrowed down who should receive your project, email your submission to the appropriate editor by following the guidelines at the bottom of this page.
Boyds Mills Press publishes a wide range of high-quality fiction and nonfiction titles for picture book, middle grade, and young adult audiences. Established in 1990, Boyds Mills Press features picture books, chapter books, novels, and nonfiction books that focus on excellent storytelling, imaginative illustration, and diverse characters. Our exceptionally crafted titles are designed to entertain, inform, and engage children of all ages. We are actively seeking submissions for the Boyds Mills Press imprint.
Wordsong is the only children’s imprint in the United States specifically dedicated to poetry. Wordsong publishes picture book poetry collections as well as poetry collections for middle grade and young adult readers. We publish novels in verse that are made up of discrete, powerful, individual poems. Some of the well-known poets who publish under the Wordsong imprint include Nikki Grimes, Jane Yolen, Georgia Heard, Rebecca Kai Dotlich, and Marilyn Singer. We are not actively seeking submissions for the Wordsong imprint.
Calkins Creek publishes both nonfiction and historical fiction for middle grade and young adult readers that introduces children to the many people, places, and events that have shaped U.S. history. Calkins Creek titles present multiple points of view through original and extensive research, and each innovative and skillfully written book relies on primary and secondary sources and includes timelines, detailed bibliographies, historical notes, and glossaries. Authors are encouraged to work with experts throughout the research and writing processes. We are not actively seeking submissions for the Calkins Creek imprint.
Kane Press publishes series-based titles with an educational underpinning written for children ages 3–11. For example, each title in the Math Matters series features a fictional narrative in which kids find fun ways to use math in everyday life. Books in the popular Milo & Jazz Mysteries chapter books feature kids using problem-solving skills. We are currently seeking writing samples for authors interested in writing titles in ongoing Kane Press series. We are also open to discussing ideas for new series.
Editor Wish Lists
Senior Editor Joy Bean
“I am currently acquiring for the Boyds Mills Press imprint. I am drawn to humorous books, lively nonfiction of all types, and am looking for character-driven stories with a strong voice. And if you’ve got a new approach to telling a story–a unique twist that sets it apart from others on the market–send it my way! I am actively looking for picture book, early chapter book, middle grade, and young adult manuscripts. I am also looking for graphic novel submissions (for the very young through young adult), and am especially interested in nonfiction graphic novel projects.”
Submit directly to Joy by emailing email@example.com and use the submission instructions included at the bottom of this page.
Assistant Editor Suzy Krogulski
“I am looking for middle grade and young adult novels with intricate, thoughtful plots and astute, sincere voices from diverse backgrounds. For picture books, I love stories that use silliness and fun to explore important themes.
I enjoy both fiction and nonfiction for all age groups, but especially realistic fiction, mysteries, thrillers, horror, and nonfiction puzzles or investigations. I am currently open to picture book, middle grade, and young adult submissions for the Boyds Mills Press imprint.”
Submit to Suzy by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org and use the submission instructions included at the bottom of this page.
Senior Editor Rebecca Davis
“I am the Senior Editor of Wordsong, an imprint dedicated to poetry, and Boyds Mills Press, an imprint that explores both nonfiction and fiction for young readers of all ages. For Wordsong, I’m looking for fresh, unusual poetry—great voices, unusual subjects, surprising language. For Boyds Mills Press, I enjoy strong narrative voice, memorable characters, stories that are truly for children and that are from the heart, and innovative nonfiction. I prefer character-driven rather than plot-driven stories.”
Senior Editor Carolyn Yoder
“I am the Senior Editor of the Calkins Creek imprint, which is dedicated to United States history. Calkins Creek Books introduces children to the many people, places, and events that shaped our country’s history. Our picture books, chapter books, and novels—nonfiction and historical fiction for ages eight and up—combine original and extensive research with creative, energetic writing. History is key at Calkins Creek; it’s front and center. Our authors transport their readers back in time to recognizable places with living and breathing people.”
When submitting, please designate in the subject line the editor you would like to submit to and your book title, genre, and word count.
- Picture books: please submit a query letter and paste the entire manuscript in the body of your email.
- Middle grade: please submit a query letter and first ten pages of your middle grade or young adult novel pasted in the body of your email.
- Young adult: please submit a query letter and first ten pages of your middle grade or young adult novel pasted in the body of your email.
- Picture books: please include your qualifications in the query letter and paste the entire manuscript and the bibliography into the body of the email.
- Middle grade: please include your qualifications in the query letter and paste the first ten pages of the manuscript and the bibliography into the body of the email.
- Young adult: please include your qualifications in the query letter and paste the first ten pages of the manuscript and the bibliography into the body of the email.
For Kane Press:
- Please include “Kane Press submission” in the subject line of your email.
- Send one or two writing samples that you feel align with the style and tone of other Kane Press titles.
- Please include any educational credentials you may have.
While we appreciate every submission we receive, due to the volume of submissions we can only respond to manuscripts of interest to us. If you have not heard back from us after three months, you may assume your project is not the right fit for our lists. We only accept electronic submissions. Our collective submission email address is: email@example.com